Wednesday, 14 August 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Ready. Set. Write! #10

{Click here for a full list of participants!}
What I'm Reading:

(Sidenote: I'm having real issues remembering what I'm reading lately...too many books? Too little sleep?!)

I got a late (very late, birthday-was-ten-months-ago late) present from a friend in the form of STORY OF A GIRL by Sara Zarr. This one really surprised me--not with how good it was, just with how the story unfolded. It was just different to what I was expecting, in a really good way. I think it's safe to say I'm a pretty big Sara Zarr fan now :)

I also read something I picked up from the library on a whim, called LIFE ON THE REFRIGERATOR DOOR by Alice Kuipers. I mostly got it because I thought it would be a quick and interesting read, and the format seemed similar to Jaclyn Moriarty's FEELING SORRY FOR CELIA. It was alright, but kind of underwhelming--I think it didn't deliver the emotional impact it was going for. Still, it was fast and I do like books in different formats like this was (literally all in letters between a mother and a daughter).

I've just started another library book, my first Kiersten White! I follow her on Twitter and she is a delight, so I thought it was time I actually read something of hers. At work yesterday I spotted SISTER ASSASSIN (a.k.a. MIND GAMES--UK edition, yo!), so that's what I'm reading now

What I'm Writing:

You may or may not know that it's WriteOnCon right now, and yesterday I had some time to kill when I was stranded in my broken down car, so I took the plunge and threw my query up on the forums. Not only have I gotten some excellent feedback, but I also got a request from one of the ninja agents! Probably the most fun request I've ever gotten. (Also, if you're on the forums, direct me to your posts--I want to check out everyone's work!)


As for actual writing, it's back to the grind...I picked up my rewrite on Sunday and got around 1k down. Yay! So now I'm back to my regular 500-a-day goal. I still don't know my overall word count and I honestly have no idea whether I'm nearer the beginning or the middle or what is really happening at all...so, pretty much business as usual!

What's Inspiring Me Right Now:

Uh, if you haven't been to the WriteOnCon forums you really should, because there's hella good stuff going on over there. I love seeing everyone helping each other, being gracious about accepting that help (look, if you get a crit from someone, even if you don't like it, you should still say THANK YOU!) and learning. What can I say--I don't like school but I do love to learn.

I also was super inspired by the live Twitter pitch session yesterday, with Suzie Townsend and Kathleen Ortiz. It was so cool to be able to see their instant reactions to all the pitches, and also to see how true "every agent is different" really is in all their different opinions, or comments that the pitch was great but they're not particularly into -blah-. If you didn't watch, I definitely recommend checking it out.

What Else I've Been Up To:

My friends and I were bored last week, so we decided...why not go to the beach?! On Friday we set off for Swansea (with me driving, of course, because the three people I went with haven't got their acts together to get their licences yet), crappy Google directions in hand, plenty of change to pay the toll on the bridge [insert "You have to PAY to get into WALES?!" joke here] and about a million things we didn't really need weighing down the car.

Us being us, we did get lost. We did end up taking the stupidest route back to where we needed to be, down a single lane road where we thought we were going to die. We did follow the satnav basically into someone's house. Of course we did--nothing we do ever goes completely to plan. (That's half the fun.)

But! Eventually we found the beach, and the tanning/reading/eating/swimming/sleeping commenced.





 Yeah, we might not have the pretty golden sand and clear blue sea, but grey and moody is what we get, so grey and moody is what I'll take. There's nothing quite like the British seaside.


Catch you on the flipside,

xoxo


13 comments:

  1. I really need to read STORY OF A GIRL. It's rare today that books surprise me so I'll need to push it up on the TBR list. My WOC 250 posts are linked my What's Up Wednesday. Congrats on your Ninja request!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Mind Games. Kiersten is a fantastic writer. I'm also hanging out at WriteOnCon it's tons of fun. I love the live pitch sessions. Did you watch Dannielle and Patrica's? They were so fun. Also Congrats on the ninja action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Sara Zarr's writing, but STORY OF A GIRL is the one novel of hers I've yet to read. Also, I own it, so I think I need to remedy that, like, now. Love your photos from the beach. Sounds like such a fun adventure with girlfriends. And congrats on your Ninja Agent request, and best of luck with the rest of WriteOnCon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the WriteOnCon feedback! My WIP is still in its early stages so I'm not posting anything this year (trying to stay away from editing/revising until I finish the first draft. I turn into a mess when I try to revise while I'm still writing a draft), but I'm reading the posts. The writing community is so helpful and I love it!

    Good luck with your writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mind Games is still sitting on my Nook. I can't wait to get around to it, but I have this thing where I have to read books in a certain order.

    Sounds like you enjoyed the beach! Always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the feedback and the request! I'm enjoying WriteOnCon too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooooove Sara Zarr! The Story of a Girl is one of my all-time favs! I just finished The Lucy Variations and loved it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for ninja agent requests! When I was in high school (oh so many years ago) my girl friends and I always went out on Friday nights and sometimes we'd pick random, semi-nearby places on the map and try to find them. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to serve Alice Kuipers coffee every day when I worked at Starbucks in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. (She was the writer in residence at the public library there at the time.) I have still never read her books. I've also never read any Sara Zarr, but I have ONCE WAS LOST and SWEETHEARTS sitting right next to me, so it should happen soon. Congrats on the request from the ninja agent! That's awesome, Rebecca! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read STORY OF A GIRL several years ago and liked it enough that I've now read three of Sara Zarr's other books too. Coincidentally, last night my book club met to discuss HOW TO SAVE A LIFE, which is my personal favorite of Zarr's books. At least so far. Who knows what she'll write next. What ever it is, I'll probably read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the ninja request. That is so cool! I'm going to the beach with friends on Saturday and I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the request! I posted the first 250 of my wip Unfair in the YA forum. I LOVE WriteOnCon. It's a great place to meet new writers and get awesome feedback!

    Your beach adventure sounds like it was a blast, despite the gray and gloom. I'm glad you had a great time and this sounds like the perfect story for a YA novel.

    Good luck with your rewrite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on getting a WriteOnCon request!!

    ReplyDelete