Wednesday, 11 September 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Kitten Edition!

{click here for a full list of participants!}

 What I'm Reading:

Last week I read BURN FOR BURN by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian, which wasn't perfect (for example, there's a serious issue that gets kind of glossed over--hopefully it'll be dealt with properly in the next book) but which I really enjoyed. It's such a Becky book--rich girls, revenge, tons of voice...of course I was going to enjoy it. Right now I'm halfway through INFINITE SKY by C.J. Flood which got a glowing review from my friend Sarah Wedgbrow and is definitely living up its reputation.



What I'm Writing:

Same old, same old. I think I might be getting close-ish to getting towards the home stretch of this draft, if that makes any sense. And I will be glad when I finish, because I HATE drafting.

On the querying side, I've had a couple more rejections...and that's about it. I'm thinking I might attempt some Twitter pitching tomorrow, which I've never done before, so that might be fun? And I'm going to throw some more queries out into the world because--well, just because sometimes you get rejections but sometimes you get requests and I can't get either without actually sending any!

What Inspires Me Right Now:

I won't lie, the latest rejections I got really bummed me out. But just when I was feeling all wallow-y and mopey, along comes one of my favourite authors with some words of wisdom for everyone feeling the same way:
I know what it’s like to go through periods where the bad stuff is louder, when you can’t find the joy, when the tunnel just keeps getting longer and longer.  Sometimes the lows have been so crushing, I have days where I truly wonder what I do this for… but then I’ll get a new idea.  Start a new book.  Or I’ll have a breakthrough with the one I’m working on.  A scene that’s been bugging me will finally come together and I remember…
Every book holds a world of possibilities, creatively and professionally.  I’m hooked on that.  I may not always get what I want (and I don’t always get what I want—rejection continues even after you’re published), but I feel better for having tried.  When I write, I feel like I’m making doors.  Maybe this will be the one that opens up to the place I want to be.  If it’s not that one, maybe it’s the next one.  I can keep making doors.  That’s what makes it okay for me. 
So keep making doors.  Don’t let anyone stop you.
 Courtney Summers, everyone. Kicking ass and making us feel better about feeling shit. (I highly recommend you check out her tumblr because she gives the most excellent answers to questions like these. And also loves zombies.)

What Else I've Been Up To:

I got a kitten! She's is a very playful (VERY playful) teeny-tiny white and ginger thing, who I have called Milly. (Her middle name is Khaleesi. Oh, yes.) She is, as I write this, asleep on my shoulder.



I also went to a murder mystery party a couple of weeks ago. It was the first murder mystery party I've ever been to and the whole thing was very entertaining--I sadly was not the murderer, but I was a major suspect for quite a while. I felt very Velma Kelly!



That's about all. I hope everyone has had an excellent past couple of week and that the whole back-to-school back-to-work grind isn't getting everyone down too much. Also, I hope anyone who participated in Pitch Madness had a good experience (lots of requests, too!), and maybe I'll see some of you tomorrow on #PitMad :)

xoxo

9 comments:

  1. I love Milly! She's adorable. :-) I'm totally a kitty person. And that Murder Mystery pic is awesome. Very Velma Kelly indeed. I love what you had to say about querying and how you can't get rejections or requests without sending your query out into the world. I hope you get more requests than rejections! Have a wonderful week, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No-one likes rejection of any kind, no matter how nicely it's put. And it can be hard to swallow the tears and move on. But you're absolutely right: while the chances of getting requests are not as great as the chances of getting rejections, you have NO CHANCE of getting requests if you don't query! So keep it up, Becky. Somewhere out there, your agent is waiting for your query. S/he may be the only request you get, but you just need one... :)

    And kittens are adorable. Your picture proves it.

    Have a great week, with lots of writing and querying encouragements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a cute kitten! I'm so jealous of you going to a murder mystery party! I've always wanted to go to one of those. Maybe I'll throw one...

    And that sucks about all the rejections. I remember when I was querying last summer... it was such an emotional roller coaster. Good luck with your future queries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...kittens make everything better, don't they? Don't let querying get you down - the rejections just make the requests that much sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A murder mystery party?!?! AWESOME!

    D'aaaaw look at that cute itty bitty kitty!

    Sorry to hear about the rejections, but hang in there. It only takes one agent, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg your kitten is so cute and FLUFFY!!! Love the picture! I keep seeing your tweets and my reaction is immediately AWWWW. :)

    And thank you for posting that Courtney Summers quote (love her, btw). You and I are at about the same place - almost finishing a draft, querying another story. The rejection SUCKS. But I love this from you: "And I'm going to throw some more queries out into the world because--well, just because sometimes you get rejections but sometimes you get requests and I can't get either without actually sending any!" I've been debating as to whether or not I should give querying one more try. I think this was the sign. Thanks for this.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with querying! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to do a murder mystery party. How fun.

    Good luck on #PitMad today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitten is SO adorable!!!!

    Thanks for sharing that Courtney Summers. I really needed to read that!

    ReplyDelete